This blog was created to keep healthcare professionals, researchers, methodologists, and patients up to date with the latest primary care research. For more information about the Research Institute, visit our website; keele.ac.uk/pchs

Wednesday, 26 November 2014

Canadian Association on Gerontology, 43rd Annual Conference, 16-18 October 2014, Niagara Falls, Canada




The central theme of the conference was ‘landscapes of aging’; recognising the multi-disciplinary, cultural and global landscapes across which gerontology is studied. This rich diversity was highlighted by the programme of talks and mix of keynote speakers (Julia Twigg, Chris Phillipson, Malcolm Cutchin, and Irene Turpie). The talks were arranged by sub-theme including, for example: health and biological sciences, chronic health conditions and self-care, and rural ageing (the sub-theme in which I presented).

The conference represented a fantastic opportunity for me to network. A particular highlight was meeting with Norah Keating, whom I had contacted prior to the conference. Bernadette Bartlam (lead supervisor) had been instrumental in introducing Norah and I on a previous occasion. Norah is a leading authority on rural ageing and was extremely generous with her time at the conference, taking a genuine interest in my research, and providing keen analytical insight. 

I would like to extend my gratitude to PCHS for providing the funding for me to attend this conference. Thanks also to the Communications Group for helping to put together my student profile on the PCHS website; as I understand it, Norah Keating made good use of this in preparation for our meeting.

For anybody whose research focuses on older people, I would certainly recommend the Canadian Association on Gerontology’s annual conference. Details of the next conference can be found here.

By Tom Kingstone, PhD Candidate
(enjoy the photos!)





No comments:

Post a Comment